Herpes is the disease caused by virus termed as the herpes simplex virus (HSV). It affects the genitalia and other areas in our body. It is a disease which can stay in the body for a long duration. Many people do not have symptoms of the virus but will be carrying the virus for some time before it affects them physically. Some of the symptoms of the herpes virus are pain in the private areas, ulcers and boils in the skin and cold sores. Though there is not a definite cure for the herpes it can be kept controlled through continuous medication and treatment.
The medicine used for the treatment of herpes is called as Valtrex. The medical term for the medicine is called as Valacyclovir. It is used to control the cold sores and chicken pox which are caused by the herpes virus in the skin. It is also used to treat shingles and cold sores in the adults who are affected by the herpes virus. There will be an outbreak of the infection in the genital areas so the medicine is used to reduce the spread of the infection.
Simple solution for a difficult problem
This medication puts an end to growth of the certain viruses of the herpes. Though it cannot be cured, it decreases the severity of the virus. The virus keeps on living inside the body even during the treatment but its effect in the body is reduced at the time of the medication.
People who have sudden outbreak of the herpes virus in the form of cold sores have to take Valtrex to decrease its length and help the sores to heal faster. It reduces the itching and paining in the areas affected by the sores, stops new sores from forming and after the sores are gone there will be a pain remaining because of the result of the sores, it lessens that pain also.
Take care while you take Valtrex
- You are supposed to read the information brochure given by the medical practitioner, before taking the medicine.
- The instructions will tell you about the procedures you need to follow in situations of side effects and the dosage of the medicine.
- You have to read the instruction brochure, even when you are taking a refill after the first sets of medicines are over.
- The Valtrex drug may be taken with or without food as directed by your medical practitioner.
- Drink plenty of water to lessen the chances of side effects.
- The dosage and the time period of the treatment depend on the type of the herpes virus.
- Sometimes the medicine is prescribed to you based on the body weight.
The medicine works best on the beginning stages of the outbreak. So check continually if you are prone to an outbreak of the herpes virus like cold sores and shingles.
- It should be taken at the time and day your medical practitioner instructs you to take.
These are some of the tips you can keep in mind to keep the virus at bay.